Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 02:07:53 PM

visitors since
june 16, 2005
+  History-Book Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Feedback, Forum & Site functions
| | |-+  Genealogical charts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Genealogical charts  (Read 2656 times)
Cush
administrator
researcher

View Profile WWW
Genealogical charts
« on: October 02, 2007, 12:31:19 AM »

Now that I have mastered (I believe) the chronological charts I am planning to implement genealogical charts as well. I want to write a program that would automatically layout family relationships over a given number of generations.
Are there any suggestions how such a layout should be arranged?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 08:31:27 AM by Cush » Logged
theelf29
researcher

View Profile
Re: Genealogical charts
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 01:09:27 AM »

That looks like a nice piece of work. Very readable. If there's one suggestion I'd make, would there be any way to integrate dates beneath the individuals' names?
Cush
administrator
researcher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 01:43:12 AM »

That looks like a nice piece of work. Very readable. If there's one suggestion I'd make, would there be any way to integrate dates beneath the individuals' names?
Oh, yes. That is a great idea... I truly forgot about displaying dates, I think I'm getting old...  Shocked  Undecided  Wink
programming these genealogical charts will end up in some really ugly code, my head already aches just from thinking of the task  Grin

btw I have dared to add a NC chart to >wikipedia<
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 01:45:18 AM by Cush » Logged
theelf29
researcher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 01:28:38 AM »

I truly forgot about displaying dates, I think I'm getting old... Shocked Undecided Wink
Mind you, if it's a programming mare, I don't blame you!  Wink

programming these genealogical charts will end up in some really ugly code, my head already aches just from thinking of the task Grin
Hey, at least you'd know what to do. My knowledge of html and friends extends to.... about this much.

I believe I've contributed to that page, though I'm a little uneasy about it. Iirc, the "Glasgow Chronology" per se was an abortive attempt by Rohl, James et al to create a revision which kept some of Velikovsky's ideas such as Thutmoses 3=Shishak and Hatshepsut=Queen of Sheba whilst maintaining the succession of Dynasties 18, 19, 20 & 21.
Cush
administrator
researcher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:11:39 AM »

I believe I've contributed to that page, though I'm a little uneasy about it. Iirc, the "Glasgow Chronology" per se was an abortive attempt by Rohl, James et al to create a revision which kept some of Velikovsky's ideas such as Thutmoses 3=Shishak and Hatshepsut=Queen of Sheba whilst maintaining the succession of Dynasties 18, 19, 20 & 21.
Yes, I was somewhat confused when reading that article, since I could not find said (Velikovsky's) identifications in any of Rohl's works. Identifying the Queen of Sheba with Hatshepsut is just as ridiculous as the entire conventional chronology when it comes to finding synchronisms between Egyptian history and the biblical narrative. I have indeed thought about re-writing most of that page, or open a new one for "New Chronology" or "Rohl's Chronology", which seems to be quote different from what is dubbed Glasgow Chronology there. But that will take quite some effort. What do you think of >this< ?
theelf29
researcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 10:57:45 PM »

What Rohl and James' reconstructions have going for them which Velikovsky's ideas did not is that the former revisions have been formulated by scholars from the relevant scholarly milieu - as opposed to V, who was by trade (iirc) a psychoanalyst.

I think the Freepedia article you linked to is a more accurate representation of the NC than the Wiki article was of the Glasgow model  Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
History-Book Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.8.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.