Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 07:02:54 AM

visitors since
june 16, 2005
+  History-Book Forum
|-+  Literature
| |-+  Modern Literature
| | |-+  photo collections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: photo collections  (Read 2263 times)
Payaso

View Profile
photo collections
« on: March 03, 2006, 11:41:25 PM »

I prefer to study ancient sites through high-quality photographs. The two best places I know to get great pictures are:

Rasmussen, Carl.
www.holylandphotos.org
This site offers hundreds of free, high-resolution photographs. It is continually updated with new ones.

Bolen, Todd.
2004     Pictorial Library of Bible Lands, 10 vols. CD-ROM. Grand Rapids: Kregel.
2004     Historic Views of the Holy Land, 5 vols. CD-ROM. Published by the producer.
These CDs offer thousands of high-resolution photographs for a reasonable price ($15-$20 per CD). You can find samples at the producer's websites, www.bibleplaces.com and www.lifeintheholyland.com. The advantage of these CDs over Rasmussen's website is that these include aerial photographs of sites in Israel, they are a little more comprehensive in terms of the coverage of sites in Israel, and they contain extensive notes on history, geography and archaeology. Plus, Bolen has a complete CD of photographs of Egyptian sites and artefacts, and as far as I know Rasmussen does not have a single photograph of Egypt on his site.

Payaso
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 06:52:16 PM by Payaso » Logged
Payaso

View Profile
Re: photo collections
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 06:49:21 PM »

For an outstanding collection of free photographs of archaeological sites in and around Rome, you can do no better than http://sights.seindal.dk/.

In addition to high-resolution images, this site has an enormous amount of information on the geography and history of Rome. For example, if you've ever wondered about the 7 hills of Rome, read this:
http://sights.seindal.dk/sight/1247_The_Seven_Hills_of_Rome.html

Payaso
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
History-Book Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.8.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.