Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 07:04:09 AM

visitors since
june 16, 2005
+  History-Book Forum
|-+  Literature
| |-+  Modern Literature
| | |-+  Bible atlas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bible atlas  (Read 5395 times)
Payaso

View Profile
Bible atlas
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:23:42 AM »

An outstanding new Bible atlas was just published in the last 5 months. If you don't have a good atlas (but need one), and you have a satisfactory income, then grab a copy of Anson F. Rainey & R. Steven Notley, The Sacred Bridge: Carta's Atlas of the Biblical World (Carta, 2006).

This is essentially a research atlas, with extensive quotes from primary sources in their original languages (translations are included). The atlas also includes a substantial bibliography, referenced throughout. The foreign language passages, translations, bibliographic references, and main text are each printed in a different colored ink, which makes it easy to locate information in the text, or skip over it. The atlas is a masterpeice in ANE historical geography.

But note there are a few hang-ups with the book. First, it is pricey, about $100. Second, the writing style is sometimes very terse and difficult to read through. In some places, it reads like a printed version of the author's rough notes. Third, for an atlas this big, one would expect there would be more large-scale maps. Finally, I have found several typos, mostly with respect to diacritical marks in transliterated names, but sometimes in the text itself, or in one case, a mislabeled point on one of the maps.

Nevertheless, this is a monumental work. I highly recommend it to someone who will read and study it. Really, though, it is just too expensive if you're only going to use it to protect your shelves from collecting dust.

Payaso
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 01:44:29 AM by Payaso » Logged
Cush
administrator
researcher

View Profile WWW
Re: Bible atlas
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 02:09:35 PM »

Wink

Do you know any good online rescources for high-resolution maps of ancient geography? Right now I have to produce the maps I need myself.
Payaso

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 06:43:23 PM »

Unfortunately, No. I don't know of any one, single website that I can direct you to for maps.  Sad

If you are interested in Greece & Rome, the Ancient World Mapping Center (which produced the Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World) has some free samples at:
http://www.unc.edu/awmc/mapsforstudents.html

The Oriental Institute has some stuff, but their maps do not show relief, only site locations.
http://oi.uchicago.edu/OI/INFO/MAP/SITE/ANE_Site_Maps.html

I usually have to hunt around for whatever it is I am specifically looking for, and sometimes I can't find anything worthwhile. From time to time, I have to put up with photographing or scanning a map out of a book.

In this regard, I am especially intrigued by what you said on another topic, that you were working on a detailed map of the entire ANE. How's that coming along? What are you using to create it?

Do you know of any other online sites for maps?

Payaso
Cush
administrator
researcher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »

Well, right now my job leaves me too little time for this hobby of mine. I hope I will have more time in the second half of the year.
I am using all sources I can get to somehow integrate them into my map data. Especially scanned maps from the internet but also vectorial map data.
Links:
Digital Egypt for Universities
Map Links to Iraq, Sumer, Akkad, ancient Mesopotamia
Map Resources clip art maps for digital graphics
Maps Of Egypt
MAPS OF THE ANCIENT WORLD
Maps: Ancient Iran Through Ages (726BCE to CE640)
Middle East Maps
Middle East Maps - Perry-Castaņeda Map Collection - UT Library Online
Theban Mapping Project
TurkicWorld - Maps Maps Maps
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 09:33:36 PM by Cush » Logged
Payaso

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 01:43:10 AM »

I have located several sites in Google Earth that are not included in your kml file (such as Carchemish, Mari, Ta'yinat). Would those be of any help to you? I can send them to you if you like.

Payaso
Cush
administrator
researcher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 02:04:06 AM »

Yes, of course. Though the greatest help would be to locate those places that have a question mark in my kml.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 12:40:59 PM by Cush » Logged
Payaso

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 04:51:48 AM »

Cush,

I'll work on your question marks. I don't have any of those placemarked yet.

I'll send you a kml in the next few days with sites I've found. I need to clean it up a little because I have conjectured points all over the place. I'll send you only the ones I've positively identified.

Payaso
Cush
administrator
researcher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 09:29:36 AM »

Thanks in advance for your efforts.  Cheesy

EDIT: just updated Borsippa.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 01:04:56 AM by Cush » Logged
Cush
administrator
researcher

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 07:31:49 PM »

Cush,
I'll work on your question marks. I don't have any of those placemarked yet.
I'll send you a kml in the next few days with sites I've found. I need to clean it up a little because I have conjectured points all over the place. I'll send you only the ones I've positively identified.
Payaso

I have now added your placemarks to my database.
You can see them in this kmz file (network link).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
History-Book Forum | Powered by SMF 1.0.8.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.